What are my property boundaries?

Your property boundaries are delineated within your grant deed, or your deed refers to a legally recorded subdivision or parcel map which has the legal boundaries delineated on them.

I think the fence that is between me and my neighbor is in the wrong location. How do I know?

The only way to know if the fence is in the wrong location is to have a professional licensed surveyor survey the property boundaries. You may find a licensed surveyor at the California Land Surveyors Association website: https://www.californiasurveyors.org/ 

If you have a disagreement/dispute with your neighbor over the placement of a fence, this is a private civil matter. The San Mateo County Assessor has no jurisdiction over these issues.

I want to subdivide my property. What do I need to do?

This answer varies on an individual basis, but usually these are land use questions and need to be reviewed by the planning and building department of the jurisdiction where the property resides.

How can I obtain an Assessor's map of my property? 

Hard copies of Assessor’s maps are available in our office at 555 County Center, Redwood City, CA. Digital maps are available here.

How do I find out easements on my property?

An easement can be referenced in recorded subdivision maps, parcel maps, or in the legal descriptions of a recorded deed.  Documents creating easements can be recorded separately from or after the original deed is recorded.  Often the easiest way to locate an easement is by obtaining a preliminary title report from a title company.

What is the zoning of my property?

The San Mateo County Assessor does not show zoning on the Assessor's maps. If your property is in the city/town limits, please contact the city/town planning department. If your property is located within the unincorporated area in the San Mateo County, please contact the San Mateo County Planning and Building Department.

How can I change the situs address of my property?

Regarding changing your situs address, please contact the planning and building department of the jurisdiction where the property is located. San Mateo County Assessor Division only change the situs addresses per notifications from planning and building departments. If you need to change your mailing address, please click here.