Issuance of Marriage Licenses and Marriage Ceremonies
Pursuant to AB No. 583, effective January 1, 2024, section 21 of omnibus bill AB 1756 repeals FC 562, permanently removing the sunset date for remote marriage license issuance and/or solemnization.
The San Mateo County Clerk's Office will continue offering online marriage licenses in conjunction with a virtual marriage ceremony only under special circumstances or in emergencies.
Below are the requirements to complete marriage licenses and a marriage ceremony via video conference:
- Please provide different email address(es) for each applicant.
- Provide a copy of each applicant’s valid government issued ID and proof of dissolution of marriage, if any (required only if dissolution date is within the last 90 days).
- Both adult applicants must be physically located within the State of California.
- One of the adult applicants must be a resident of San Mateo County.
- Access to high-speed internet and capability to run the Microsoft Teams meeting application – the video conference includes both live video and live audio.
- To request an appointment, please email CountyClerk@smcacre.gov with your name, phone numbers and emails. We will contact you with appointment date and time. Appointments are scheduled on a first come, first serve basis through the expiration date of Executive Order N-58-20.
- Completed marriage license application. Click here to complete the application for a marriage license.
The marriage license and marriage ceremony will be administered by the San Mateo County Clerk Division.